Part-Time Chinese Teacher at Oak Hill Middle School, Newton, MA
Position Type: Middle School Teaching/World Language - Chinese
Date Posted: 5/5/2017
Location: Oak Hill Middle School, Newton Public Schools
Date Available: 09/01/2017
This is a .86 FTE position. Appropriate DESE licensure is required
Job Description: This Chinese Teacher is responsible for planning, organizing, developing and conducting a comprehensive teaching and instruction program for middle school students in grades 6-8.
Department: Middle School World Languages
Job Title: Chinese Teacher FLSA Status: (Exempt/Non-exempt) Exempt - Unit A Bargaining Unit
Reports to: Principal, Assistant Principal, MS World Language Curriculum Coordinator
- Bachelor’s degree in subject area and requisite licensure as defined by the DESE
- Ability to handle multitude of varying and complex issues
- Excellent oral and written communication skills in both English and Chinese
- Computer experience
- Prior teaching experience
- Knowledge of language teaching strategies and pedagogy
- Knowledge of behavior management and behavior shaping strategies, techniques and methods, and conflict resolution procedures
- Ability to work autonomously and make independent decisions
• Ability to organize tasks, set priorities and meet deadlines, manage multiple tasks
• Good judgment and good problem-solving skills
ESSENTIAL JOB DUTIES (not limited to):
- Prepare and deliver instructional lessons with clear and measurable outcomes
- Provide appropriate and effective learning experiences for students from a wide range of socio-economic levels and cultural backgrounds
- Design and demonstrate differentiated instruction to meet the needs of all students.
- Implement accommodations and curricular modifications as specified in educational plans (IEPs) and as needed to meet the learning needs of students
- Provide a motivating and stimulating learning environment
- Use a variety of formal and informal assessments to accurately measure student progress toward and to modify further instruction.
- Use a computer and other technology to support student learning in and out of the classroom.
- Provide students with support (remediation and enrichment) using a variety of strategies
- Collaborate with colleagues on curriculum, lesson and assessment design
- Participate actively in faculty, department and team meetings
- Set professional development goals, develop professional development plans, and participate in professional development activities that improve teaching practice
- Communicate effectively with students, colleagues, parents, and the community
- Perform research and development activities pertaining to curriculum and instructional programs and innovative pilot projects designed to enhance student educational opportunities and experiences
- Follow safety procedures and written and verbal instructions
- Other duties as needed
Work Environment & PHYSICAL REQUIREMENTS:
Work is generally performed in a school environment during the school day, however there may be occasions for afterschool meetings (ex: Back to School Night)
Due to space and scheduling limitations, teachers may have to share one or more classroom spaces. Must be able to provision each classroom with texts and appropriate teaching and learning materials and to transfer said materials from classroom to classroom as necessary. Materials may need to be transferred with the aid of a cart.
Newton Public Schools is an Equal Opportunity Employer. Newton Public Schools ensures equal employment opportunities regardless of race, creed, sex, color, national origin, religion, age, sexual orientation, disability, or any other class as protected by law. The Newton Public Schools places a high value on diversity and active recruitment of qualified minority teachers and staff. Any individual needing assistance in making application for any opening should contact the district human resources office.
More information can be found from this link.
Thursday, May 18, 2017
Oak Hill Middle School